Desprez Versailles Pour Homme

Bergamot, Clary Sage, Green note, Lemon, Pimento.
Carnation, Cedar, Cinnamon, Fruit note, Geranium, Jasmin, Patchouli.
Amber, Labdanum, Leather, Moss, Musk, Styrax and Vanilla.

For the life of me, I cannot understand the 180 degree turn I've experienced with this 1980 release from Jean Desprez. I used to enjoy it, but now it only conjures up images of Frenchmen in wigs wearing too much cologne to camouflage body odor. Versailles Pour Homme is truly a subjective interpretation.

The combination of pimento and undefinable fruit is off putting to me these days. The fragrance as a whole is very dense and casts a substantial aroma. Versailles Pour Homme intros with an eye opening citrus and an "off the beaten path" spice accord. Sadly, it loses me from here onward.

A fragrance that comes off to me as a bit dated doesn't mean I won't like it. I have quite a few that fit this categorization. It's when they reek of a bygone era and can't be redeemed by my olfactory that I have to put the brakes on. This is old man personified to me and I'm in my fifties.

Versailles is well made as you can sense from the gravitas in this masculine. Sometimes, good is simply not good enough. The opening accord has other-worldly hang time and only when the top settles down can I muster up the desire to go on.

Versailles Pour Homme is baroque. It's like the perfumer made a real effort to somehow ratio these chosen notes and force them to make a statement. The heart is a continuation of the opening, but less dramatic and the arrivals of cinnamon and jasmin augments this in a better direction.

The base cannot salvage Versailles for me. It relinquishes bits of resin and balsam, earthiness and some softening from van-amber. It just isn't enough and I find relief in the fact that my wearing is over. I can now go remove this from my skin.

Sillage is good and longevity even better. I will not give Versailles Pour Homme a negative review because I once liked it and besides, it should be sampled in order to form your own opinion. Big fat neutral rating from Aromi for the juice that makes him feel like a retiree. ( Note *****the bottle is terrific*****).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited