Versace L'Homme Original version

Basil, Bergamot, Green notes, Lemon, Petitgrain, Pimento.
Carnation, Cedar, Cinnamon, Jasmin, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood.
Amber, Labdanum, Leather, Moss, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla.

Versace L'Homme is the only fragrance that my boss ( a woman ) compliments me on every time I wear it. Mind you that I wear scent every day and that she isn't exactly what you'd call an enthusiast. She has certain sensitivities to fragrance, but never does she give me a hard time about what I wear. I give her props because there are days when I wear some crazy !@#$.

After initially wearing the reformulated version of this, I scored a bottle of the vintage in 2009 and have kept some ever since. None of the three versions that I know of are spectacular. That includes the original I'm reviewing, but I will say that there's that special something in this one that keeps me wearing it in cool temperatures. Intangibles have to count for something.

Versace L'Homme opens with a blast of citrus that leans slightly green and already has hints of wood. It's almost as if it begins with a conventional heart accord. It's very rich and the citrus is dense. The petitgrain makes this top what it is.

Yes, it's Mediterranean. Yes, it reminds me of Fabio and I have to say that Versace couldn't have chosen a more perfect image for some of his fragrances. It matters not to me if Fabio didn't advertise this particular release. He should have been the face of everything masculine coming out of this house in the 1980's.

The heart of Versace L'Homme struggles to free itself from the Tsunami that was the opening. I get periodic yells for help from the floral array, but they soon sink back down into the depths of Fabioland and surrender to the green citrus. I have an occasional urge to toss it a life jacket, but the opening is so good that maybe drowning ( in this case ) isn't such a bad thing.

An hour may pass and Versace L'Homme finally begins to succumb to Father Time. It's death knell is exaggerated however and instead of giving up its last breath, it reincarnates into a leathery wood surrounded by a soft moss. This really is the Fabio of juice. It keeps going and going and just when you think it has ran its course, you find that it's still there and better than ever.

The extended drydown affords you a nice addition of musk and a little assist from vanilla. They're not loud, but act as a nice outro. Sillage is very good and so is the longevity. This is a very good masculine that doesn't get near the praise it deserves. Thumbs up from Aromi for Versace L'Homme vintage formula.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited