Parfum D'Habit Vintage formulation

Blackcurrant, Bergamot, Petitgrain.
Leather, Geranium, Patchouli, Incense.
Sandalwood, Amber, Vanilla.

The image to the left is the current rendition, but the review is of the vintage formula. I have yet to smell the new version, so I can not speak of any comparisons.

The opening accord of Parfum d'habit is one of the more challenging greetings you will encounter from a perfume. I still find this fragrance a tough wear and I know there are folks out there who love this juice. I have the utmost respect for Parfum d'Habit. Every time I wear it, I'm reminded that this scent is like Beauty and the Beast.

My instantaneous reaction to applying Parfum d'Habit is damp wool underneath a leather saddle. I understand not everyone gets the wool comparison, but it's intense on my skin and front and center. The ratios of Blackcurrant, Leather and Patchouli come into being as a wool accord that's slightly prickly. It's rather amazing and as unique a triumvirate as I've smelled.

Somehow, the intro and heart of Parfum d'Habit are the very same thing on my skin and as long lasting as it is, the only shift is in volume and presence. Others may experience nuances that I do not. The leathery wool persists with the other listed culprits acting as a supporting cast of sorts. Parfum d'Habit is not a comfort scent by any means and I must be in an energetic mood to wear it. The days I have that spring in my step and the weather is cool, this is a interesting choice and gives me a strange sense of pleasure.

It isn't until Parfum d'Habit begins to drydown that a sandalwood comes to fruition. It's underneath the leathery wool, but once it does arrive, it's a nice addition and lends this additional depth.

You can also sense a resin quality in the base and beyond, along with the sandal. I'm going to guess that this is from the amber. Since I can't detect a conventional amber rendition, it really is a guess, but perhaps that's all the amber is destined to contribute in Parfum d'Habit.

The oriental notes don't unravel in an obvious fashion. Stating that they are subtle is an understatement. In extended drydown, their DNA leaves trace evidence, but nothing more than that on me. I'm considering asking a Fragrance C.S.I. team what their thoughts are on this. Anyhow.........

Sillage is very good and longevity is commendable. A wearing usually results in a 6 hour leather-fest garnished in wool. Thumbs up from Aromi for MPG's eclectic Parfum d'Habit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited