Halston Z-14

I needed to review this particular scent for a few reasons. One is because I find it semi-maligned by others and I used to wear this quite a bit in the early 1980's. I liked it then.....and I still like it enough to have just scored another bottle at TJ Maxx along with 1-12.

30 years ago, this used to sell for approximately $40 per bottle if I remember correctly. I picked up a 125ml 1-12 and a 75ml Z-14 for $9.99 each at the Maxx because they smell really good, have decent longevity and make economical work frags.

Z-14 is a 1976 Citric Leather Chypre and on me, the citric comes front and center. The opening is a volley of very good spice, citrus and wood. There's a slew of good ingredients here and one of my favorite basil-bergamot combos is implemented. The cypress is a spicier woody and while it doesn't dominate the accord, it sure embellishes it.

Lurking nearby is the heart of cedar, cinnamon and coriander. It seamlessly introduces itself along with very subtle florals and earthy tones courtesy of patch and vetiver. The drydown is a leathery moss accompanied by an amber-tonka duo that last an exceptional amount of time. After 30 minutes, Z-14 ( on me) is close to the skin yet has longevity to survive 5 hours. Even at end of the scents life, I can still smell the opening.

Z-14 is a workhorse. It's well made and pleasant smelling. Does it break new ground? No. It doesn't have to. It is what it is. If you are searching for good bang for your buck to add some juice to your work ( or Casual) rotation, Z-14 would warrant consideration or at least a sample wear. I can always find an excuse to wear it. This is a very good release by Halston.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited