Bois d'Armenie by Guerlain

This 2006 Guerlain release is marketed more towards men which is something I find perplexing. To me, it leans more feminine than masculine and has the Guerlain fingerprint all over it.

Mind you now......it smells excellent as you would expect. This wearer finds it a bit sweet and powdery from the initial application. I normally shy away from scents of this ilk regardless of how well they're made or who made them. This release is no exception. I would, however, love to smell this on the female persuasion.

With that said, Bois d'Armenie opens with a very appealing accord of benzoin, incense and an understated iris. An ever so subtle spice from pepper makes its way into the accord and gives it a much needed edginess. The scent is smooth and the pepper is a nice touch. The benzoin implemented here seems to give off an incense note in and of itself. The combo of the benzoin and iris rear up a powder that some will absolutely love and others will not. I fall in between both camps.

This is an oriental woody on me, but I could have done with a more pronounced wood accord. It's low volume and pleasant, yet it never seems to be able to come out from under the shadow of the benzoin-iris-incense triumvirate. The listed patchouli and musk in the base aren't realized on my skin and only a slight hint of musk ever appears well into extended drydown.

As far as price point is concerned, I do not find it bottle worthy in spite of smelling good. This is well made, has quality ingredients yet it's too powdery and linear for my liking. I still would love to smell a woman wearing this fragrance, but alas, it's simply not for me to wear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited