Etienne Aigner No. 2

This 1976 release by Aigner is a woody fougypre with a bracing opening accord along the lines of Leonard Pour Homme. This isn't to say that No.2 is very similar. It's a kinsman because of the Bergamot, Petitgrain and lavender in the topnotes with cedar leaching upwards from the heart.

Both scents eventually go their separate ways, but both emit a similar vibe with an emphasis on molto masculinity. I can safely say that no woman I know would successfully pull off wearing Aigner No. 2 as a standalone fragrance. This scent is rough, hairy and while it does tone down some by the base accord, it never ventures into the "shared" zone. This is for construction workers and plumbers who want to smell masculine on the job.

That may sound harsh, but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Aigner is my favorite designer house for classic scents and I simply call them as I see them. Do I like Aigner No. 2? No, not really........but I don't hate it either. Let's just say I'm ambivalent. I do enjoy the fragrance after 20 minutes and the drydown has arrived. The hair has been trimmed off it by then and No. 2 becomes an amberized woody with quite a bit of company. Here are the accords :

Top : Bergamot, Clary Sage, Lavender, Lemon, Petitgrain
Heart : Anise, Cedar, Fern, Geranium, Heliotrope, Orris, Rose, Sandal, Vetiver 
Base : Labdanum, Moss, Musk, Tonka, Vanilla 

No. 2 has some heavy hitters ala 1970's style construction and for me, it has a difficult time transcending this era. I love masculines from this time period that aren't so "locked-in" and have a bit more versatility. Now, with that said, No. 2 is still very good in that it's well made with great ingredients that have withstood the passage of time. I refer to the integrity of the scent I am sampling

This is the first neutral rating I have given a classic Aigner because there are numerous others that mimic this same aura and implement the same accord structure with yes.......you guessed it......the same results. While not bad by any means, I have to pass on adding No. 2 to the collection. I actually wear what's in my drobe and this wouldn't see any playing time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited