Aesop Mystra

Frankincense, Labdanum and Mastic.

Aesop's Mystra is ( to me at least ) a strange, but likable rendition of ambery incense. It emits a medicinal earthiness that possesses a mentholated slant to it. Well, on my skin, the opening accord contains that aspect and within 5 minutes it begins to dissipate.

What I notice most about Mystra is that the Incense implementation isn't very similar to what I have been sampling from other releases. For example, the manner in which Amouage uses the note can be identified in other fragrances utilizing frankincense. In Mystra, the incense seems to be of a different sort.

The overall feel I get from wearing Mystra is detached with a sense of coolness. I expected the opposite considering how I like Labdanum and Incense, but for a good portion of the transitions, this aloof quality takes precedence in my mind. Normally, amber-incense evokes warmth and perhaps resiny smoke when I wear that combination. I don't experience that sampling Mystra.

This is incense from the earth. It conjures resin, natures smoke and the dew of the cool ground. The slightly medicinal and sticky nature of Mystra never really exits, nor does it exhibit any sense of sweetness. It's austere on my skin, but I mean that in the best possible light. There's no frills and the 3 listed notes have surprised me by eliminating what I thought would be a predictable evolution.

Mystra stops short of possessing a bitter element. I think this aspect derives from the dryness of the amber and how that interacts with the other notes. This isn't meditative or really thought provoking, but it does project a focused intent on smelling serious.

Sillage is average and longevity is about 5 hours on me. I find Mystra interesting in a sparse fashion, yet I don't find anything to love. It doesn't go for the heartstrings, nor does it push you away.

Neutral rating from Aromi for Aesop's Mystra. A sample wear is definitely recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited