Un Bois Sepia by Serge Lutens

Sandalwood, Cypress, Vetiver, Patchouli, Opoponax.

Un Bois Sepia doesn't possess what I would call a great opening. At least to me, it smells nothing like I would expect from a perfume in this price range. It's rather ordinary and far removed from anything associated with being decadent.

This doesn't mean I don't like it or that Un Bois Sepia is without merit. Sure, this has been around long enough for numerous opinions to be in the books. Most seem to be of the dislike variety, but I don't share that sentiment after wearing this 3 times. I also don't love it in spite of my affinity for woodies.

I get the impression while wearing this that it's not quite finished. I keep thinking that as the wearings get to the base and drydown stages, Un Bois Sepia is going to veer off in another direction by adding an element or two to the progression. It never does and I would have liked it to.

Much more masculine than anticipated, Un Bois Sepia implements an interesting woods accord. The Cypress is definitely to my liking, but I can't say I realize much sandal except  hints of it in the extended drydown.

I do smell whiffs of oak as well, even though it's not a listed note. The woods are accented with earthy tones, bits of spice and a smidgeon of smoke. I won't go as far as saying that Un Bois Sepia employs any sweet qualities, but there's at least some balsam in the mix.

This is an uncomplicated woody at an expensive price point. It's this that stops me from considering a future purchase, although I do like the overall aroma. Sillage is average with longevity at about 5 hours on me. Thumbs up from Aromi for the Serge's Un Bois Sepia and with a strong recommendation to sample in lieu of purchase. This is a try before you buy....... even for die hard Lutens aficionados.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited