L'Eau Froide by Serge Lutens

Olibanum, Marine Notes, Musk, Vetiver, Mint.

I have to say that this is even a weird one for The Serge to release. I can't say it's a "good" weird because I would be lying. I'd also miss the mark if I said it was horrible, so somewhere in between that enormous landscape falls L'Eau Froide.

What immediately strikes me is the neutrality of the incense rendition and the interplay of mint. Rather than the suggestion of "cold", I get an accord that is seemingly disinterested in me, if that were possible. This is truly aloof and I detect no metallic agenda which normally affords me that perception.

The opening on me is the minty incense. It becomes more focused in the first 10 minutes or so before any transitions begin. This isn't smoky either, which I find a bit strange and somehow the incense is identifiable as such, but without the usual trappings of haziness. There is a balsamic quality to the accord which seems to bind the menthol and incense.

Once the opening subsides and settles down, a herbal element unveils. If there is a sea water effect anywhere in this fragrance, it's in the first 2 minutes. I don't really associate what I detect in L'Eau Froide to actual salt water from the ocean. It seems to be more of an agreement between the herb and whatever marine ingredients are implemented here to suggest it.

I wish it smelled like the brine that whistles through your car windows when you're only a few miles from shore. I love that smell since my youth at the Jersey shore, but sadly this isn't close.

As L'Eau Froide slips into the base and drydown stages, the the incense note has faded into the shadows and stepping out in front of it is an earth tone with the accompanying minty herb. The incense hasn't vanished completely, but is content to become a very subtle accent and nothing more.

L'Eau Froide is a rather forgettable effort from The Serge. It feels more like a mid priced designer scent during my wearings. I expect more from this house and also for the price. It's not a bad scent by any stretch, but there's nothing here to move, impress or provoke me into considering it.

Sillage is average and longevity is approximately 4 hours on my skin. Neutral rating from Aromi for The Serge and his latest offering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited