New York Oud by Bond No.9

Red Plum, Saffron, Orange Peel.
Patchouli, Orris Root, Rose, Agarwood.
Vetiver, Musk, White Honey.

There seems to be quite a bit of displeasure  regarding the lack of legitimate oud in this Bond release. What's amusing is that most complaining about it are westerners like myself and wouldn't know the genuine article if someone stuck it under their nose.

Am I some type of oud expert? Hell no. My perception of oud is what I've been exposed to the last few years and that seems to be a combination of saffron and rose with a bit of agarwood. Some have no agar at all and the overall aroma is just as similar. The oud exposure is only a recent phenomenon here in the States and I have no inkling to pursue "oud expertise".

What I'll try and accomplish is an honest summary of what I smell in this Bond creation. To start, I like this "oud" much better than say "Arabian Nights" by both Bogart and Del Pozo.  Bond has implemented an economical representation ( in my opinion ) and I say that because of how it compares to similar renditions costing considerably less. There's absolutely no M7 correlations here and that is because New York Oud is tuned with Saffron and Rose out front.

New York Oud opens with a saffron and dark rose accord. I keep thinking I'm smelling berry in the mix too and wonder if orris extract was used or if it's the result of plum and orange merged. It doesn't matter as the top accord is nice, substantial and rather familiar to my nose. I don't experience a realistic plum or orange for that matter, but you may detect it in your sample wearings. I actually prefer this waxy berry note mingled with the saffron rose duo.

New York Oud does not utilize transitions that are noticeable. Aside from the slightly quirky opening, the base affords the wearer a slowly emerging musk that has earth tones attached to it. It doesn't reveal itself to be a sensual musk, but rather a coarser version with edges.

There's nothing remarkable here, but to be fair, Bond No. 9's representation of saffron and rose with a twist is rather enjoyable. This is, once again, westernized "oud" and as time goes on, I find less wrong with that.

Sillage is above average and longevity is very good. A few sprays should last an entire work shift or evening out with no problem. The price is extremely high, so a neutral rating is all I'm willing to dispense for the Sheik Yerbouti of contemporary "ouds" by Bond No.9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited