L'Homme Libre by Yves St. Laurent

Bergamot, Pink Pepper, Nutmeg.
Violet, Spice, Anise.
Patchouli, Vetiver, Leather.

A very large atomizer was given to me recently by one of my softball players. He's very partial to scent, but as a young man in his twenties, his tastes are indicative of his peer group. I completely understand why he likes what he likes and also why he doesn't care for what he deems "too mature". As he gave me the atomizer, he informed me that he thought I would like it much more than he did. It simply wasn't "fresh enough or in keeping with his other acquisitions".

Naturally, I was more than happy to try it and then review it. I wouldn't have otherwise came upon it since I tend to shy away from recent designer releases. Too many are bland and uninspired, but I chalk some of that up to being exposed ( over the years ) to so many creations. I suppose the current offerings have common denominators like those from eras gone by. What puts me off most modern fragrances is, more than likely, the same things that prevents youth from liking what I grew up with. In some fashion, we are prisoners of our generations.

After wearing L'Homme Libre, I can see how this scent isn't along the same lines as others my player gravitates to. However, it isn't a bad creation by any means. Perhaps a bit generic, safe and possibly lacking imagination, it still smells pleasant enough that I would be in error to denigrate it.

What stands out to me in L'Homme Libre is the violet and Pink Pepper combination. There's nothing sharp about this rendition and if anything, it possesses a subtle sweetness. The citric opening doesn't last long before being usurped by the spicy violet. This accord remains until the base introduces a vetiver to join it. I believe it's the violet and vetiver that "lost" my softball player. These culprits can be found in a variety of classic masculines.

Sillage is acceptable and longevity is approximately 5 hours on me. A neutral rating from Aromi with positive attributes. A sample wear is definitely recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited