Canoe by Dana ( revised from 2009 )

Lemon, Lavender, Clary Sage, Carnation, Cedar, Clove, Geranium, Patchouli, Heliotrope, Oakmoss, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

I recently read a rare fragrance review submitted by Michael Storer. Rare in the sense that Michael Storer doesn't really review scents and then upload his opinion for the public to read. He is an Independent Perfumer who creates and distributes his own brand. From what I can tell, Michael is also a very nice person in a tough and competitive business.

He recently chose to submit a review of Canoe ( of all things ! ) and when I finished reading his post, I was inspired to revise my own review. I had every intention of doing so anyway, but Michael's review persuaded me to do it now. Let it be known that I actually do own and wear Canoe on a rotation basis.

The Canoe Cologne I own is an EdC from approximately the mid 1960's. I don't know how much of a difference there is between it and later releases. I have about 25ml. remaining from the original 4oz. bottle and since my rotation is rather large, I wear Canoe about 3 times per year ( give or take ). I take this approach with basically all the fragrances in my wardrobe. It also helps justify my owning them in the first place.

Canoe opens with an assertive spicy citrus that is immediately identifiable as classic. Some will find it dated. I prefer to think of it as retro-comfort. The Lavender, Sage and florals come at you as one and all are on the muscular side. The Woods and Clove aren't tuned at a high volume, but they have girth and suggest a denseness underneath the opening accord. It really isn't until a few hours have elapsed that the presence dies down and a fougiental quality emerges. There's earth, green and musk that evolve alongside a slightly powdery and soft vanilla.

 In the muscle car days of the mid to late 60's, it was common to smell Canoe, Brut, Jade East, Aqua Velva, Mennen and English Leather. All these years later, Canoe is the most likable of these drugstore fragrances to me, however others may hold a different opinion. The 2 stages I derive from wearing Canoe still smell good to me all these years later.

Sillage is good with longevity approximately 6 hours on me from an Eau de Cologne. It's a skin scent for even longer than that. Thumbs up from Aromi for Canoe by Dana and as always, a sample wear is highly recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited