Tova Cologne for Men ( Beverly Hills )

Bergamot, Lemon, Orange Blossom, Jasmine, Spices, Musk.

For years now, I've periodically come across reviews of how this particular Tova release was rather exceptional, while its counterpart "Handsome for Men" wasn't so good. My calling Handsome for Men a counterpart is probably erroneous, but it's these two that get any attention at all, as far as masculine creations from Tova Borgnine go.

Recently, I picked up both in the same purchase. The box included a 100ml. bottle of each. I have to say that the bottles themselves are on the cheap side, as are the sprayers. That aside, I've worn both now and decided to review the more popular one first. The reviewers were correct in describing the alpha lemon note.

Two things struck me while pondering the lemon rendition in Tova Cologne for Men. It has an overall denseness not apparent in transparent interpretations. This is thick and heavy, but not overbearing. The aroma also reminds me of the extract variety used in cooking. That also isn't meant as derogatory. I like the smell of extract and use it often enough. This lemon is of the concentrated variety and completely different than the more lucid and fleeting renditions found in most fragrances.

There is more than just Lemon existing from the initial spray, but they just accent the star player. The accord listing above seems a bit anemic and it's what I could find, although it's not misleading. The Orange is nicely done and seems to lend the Lemon note some gravity.

What I do perceive during different parts of the heart and base accords are mild versions of nutmeg, pepper and orris. There's also an undercurrent of wood in the mix, but I don't even notice it until the drydown has commenced.

The Lemon really does get top billing here, but I admit to finding this a bit on the uninteresting side and a tad disappointed in the longevity department. I like it, but don't love it. I also must say that I wear numerous fragrances regularly that I don't "love". They simply wear well and are versatile to warrant my reaching for it as much as I do. Sillage is acceptable with longevity approximately 3 hours on me before reapplying. Tova Cologne for Men still deserves a thumbs up simply because it has done nothing to deserve a thumbs down............and leans better than neutral. My biggest "beef" ( if I can call it that ) is that it fails to inspire me in any fashion. As I usually do, permit me to recommend a sample wearing if at all possible in lieu of purchase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited