Secret Oud by Caron

I have been wanting to try this Caron release since its release. I've also been warming up to oud and during this process, I'm finding different renditions of it that are either wearable for me, good enough to purchase or simply unflattering.

Secret Oud is in the wearable camp. The reason it doesn't make my "purchase" category has nothing to do with aroma or quality. It's a very elegant oud and worthy interpretation. I had to determine that, at $5 per ml, it falls short of Mona di Orio's Oud in overall enthrallment. Both are very expensive, very good, but one has to be the better of the two. It's quite possible that, had I not come across the di Orio, this review would be of a slightly different nature.

LS has the notes listed as : Saffron, Damask Rose, Grey Haired Rock Rose, Jatamansi, Oud Wood, Jasmin, Cedarwood, Atlas and Musk.

Secret Oud opens ( on me ) as a Saffron scent. It's a sheer rendition and from beginning to end, Secret Oud is understated. The transitions are slow but sure and the reward is an extremely comfortable drydown. The rose is possibly the most polite usage I've come across and it too is a lucid interpretation. Every creation using Damask rose that I have smelled had some commonalities due to the note being very identifiable. Not so in Secret Oud. It seems that both rose selections are embellishments, but in truth, the entire composition is set up in this manner. No one, not even the oud, is a dominant player here.

The oud rendition starts heating up some after about 10 minutes. Balance is the name of the game in this Caron release and if I may use a musical term, this has been equalized. Even the jasmin is content to play at a low level and by the time you'd expect the drydown to begin, what has transpired is a saffron scent with low volume floral and wood contributions. It's very good and the base accord ( I find ) is even better.

The subtle herb and earth tones from Jatamansi start revealing their comforting qualities and team up with a soft, musky wood. The oud stays barely a notch above these and the totality is a dignified oud release that has none of the medicinal aspects usually associated with the note. Secret Oud is not as lush or dense as Mona di Orio's creation and as different as it is, it's still excellent in my book.

Sillage is moderate with acceptable longevity. If you're searching for a classy oud rendition that is genderless and transparent, you should put this on your sample list. Thumbs up from Aromi for Caron's Secret Oud.

Comments

  1. Saffron is one of my favorite notes in oriental perfumes, so I'll definitely have to give this one a sniff. Thanks for the recommendation, Aromi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited