Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

Could this be an ELDO I actually like? This may be much ado about nothing, but Rien is fairly good. After being acquainted with enough leathers that have floral overtones, Rien doesn't seem as alien as it might have been to me a few years ago.

Upon application, I am immediately greeted with a myrrh-like leather and subtle rose sneaking in the back door. In the midst of this volley, an aloof, mineral-like aura is also present. It's a "man-made" smell, but I don't find it off putting. If anything, it has me repeatedly sniffing the spot I applied it. Let's say it weirdly good.

The aldehydes in Rien ( at least for me) contribute a sparkling shimmer underneath the accord. After 10 minutes or so, a hint of pepper attaches itself to the opening, but the listed cumin never is realized on my skin......even after multiple wearings. Patchouli, amber and Labdanum are also in the accord structure, yet they don't seem to unfold like I am accustomed to. The drydown is pleasant with a subtle sweetness that I find difficult to lay at amber or labdanum's doorstep.

The first half of Rien transitions according to script, but the second half ( while still good mind you), doesn't seem to jive with the listed notes. I guess it doesn't really matter since the scent denotes nothing in the first place. As they say....."It's all good".....

Rien is a very acceptable leather dominant scent that's cutting edge and not for everyone. My wife said it smells like the inside of a closet. She has a very truncated reviewing style that's all her own......and which is also why she will never be allowed to embellish her musings on this blog. Her reviews would be one sentence long and end with a happy face or......the dreaded unhappy face. She gives Rien the ambivalent face whereas mine is smiling in a very strange fashion. Hell......this is a strange House, so it stands to reason.

I don't like Rien enough to purchase a bottle......but I do like it enough for a bottle split or decant purchase. Thumbs up for Rien from Aromi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited