Brooks Brothers New York for Men

Bergamot, Verbana, Petitgrain, Mandarin, Carnation, Orris Root, Basil, Thyme, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Musk.

In 2010, I became interested enough in New York for Gentlemen to ask numerous hobbyist what they thought about it. I had never sampled it and a nice bottle isn't enough to really pique my interest. I did however like the aesthetics.

The responses to my queries were expected.Some liked it while others considered it mundane and ordinary. I pursued it further and came across  NIB 30ml for a terrific priced shipped, so I pulled the trigger.
It was a blind buy and what I got in return was a likable masculine. I can understand those who were indifferent to New York. What needs to be accepted about this fragrance is the obvious. It is meant for polite wear. The word Gentlemen is in the name for a reason.

What I have come to appreciate most about it is the balance between citrus and herbal. They both manifest themselves equally on my skin and stay at that same ratio. The volume is that of a Gentleman and I can only assume that is the point.

The verbana, petitgrain and orris have a nice integration with the citrus accord. It's like this from the initial spray, but the citrus is a blurred rendition. It's still recognizable as such and is pleasant, so no harm no foul.

The carnation, basil and thyme never materialize conventionally on me in any of the wearings. The carnation is conspicuously absent, but the other spices are merged into the herbal tones and are difficult to discern. These aren't drawbacks by any means.  The totality of New York is soothing and becomes more comfortable in the drydown with the appearance of a soft, earthy moss.

Sillage is moderate and longevity is a few hours before morphing into a close scent. New York for Gentlemen is understated and rightly so. This fragrance is extremely appropriate for venues that lean formal. Thumbs up from Aromi for New York.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited