Il Mondi Odore Perfume Reviews

Il Mondi Odore Perfume Reviews

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Crabtree and Evelyn Extract of Mysore Sandalwood

My friend Mike Perez recently sent me a sample of this 1970 goodie as I have been curious about this one for years. Sandalwoods are hit and miss with me. I adore the note done in tandem with the right combination of others, but rarely have I come across a minimal sandalwood like this one.......and enjoyed it.

That is......until now. Can you say understated? Well......that's exactly what this fragrance happens to be. Years ago, I found Arden's sandalwood to be minimalist as well, but it just didn't have that something I'm looking for in a sandal rendition. Crabtree & Evelyn's first version has it. It's the comfort factor for sure.

Now, there's no question I wish this was a bit louder in volume ( and only in volume) ...but....if it was, it's quite possible it would alter the overall smell of this gem. So, with that notion aside, I have to say that mild is good in this case. The way my skin executes this scent makes it a perfect candidate for close quarters or a flat out relaxing few hours by my lonesome.

I have no idea what the accords consist of and don't know if other notes have burned away with age ( it is from 1970 after all), but I can tell you what I experience from Extract of Mysore. From the moment of application, I get a big, round and transparent citric wood accord. Within 15 minutes, that same accord is still rolling along with less "noise" and accompanying the top is what I construe as sandalwood, a sliver of rosewood and what I perceive as pepper.

This is the totality of my experience....yet.....as simplistic as this is, it's extremely liberating to relax in such an uncomplicated and predictable aroma. Comfort scents have a way of doing this to me and Extract of Mysore is in this ballpark. Big thumbs up for this 41 year old creation from the folks at Crabtree.

2 comments:

  1. Finding anything with natural Mysore sandalwood in it is reason enough to hang on to it these days. I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat and scream, "What will we do when the sandalwood runs out?!?!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This product it is not in production anymore, and it's a pity. There's a new version which is very different. It has been for years the best sandalwood frangrance on the market. Actually it was my fragrance. Can you suggest something similar I could try? Best. Salvatore Merlo (salvatore_merlo@yahoo.it)

    ReplyDelete