The Original by Gap

I always enjoy ( immensely I might add ) stumbling upon a fragrance that is surprisingly good and also very affordable.

Quite some time ago I picked up a bottle of The Visionary by Gap and liked it. I recently had opportunity to purchase The Original ( locally ) and bought it without smelling it since it was so cheap. I consider $3.89 for 50ml beyond economical, so there you have it.

When I finally got around to spritzing myself with it, a smile crossed my lips immediately. I didn't try to analyze it. I simply wanted to wear it for awhile and see if it was legit. I now consider it to be a worthy scent and to be honest, I've sampled some high end niche that should smell this good. Every now and then, bargain basement beats pretentiousness. This is one of the things that keeps me in this hobby.

Now, is The Original terrific? Great? Outstanding? Um.......not really, but it's very good and for the price, you can't beat it with a stick. The first few minutes of the opening afforded me a strange rendition of fruit. It lists plum as one of it's few notes. I can't say I recognize it as plum exactly, but I definitely got the fruit vibe and it was very good. I wished it stayed around longer, but topnotes are like hookers with a full schedule.

Cedar and Leather are also listed, but I get a little more than that. Leather seems to be a broad term in my experience and have come across all sorts of different renditions of the note. The leather rendition in The Original isn't a dominant and obvious one like in Or Black or Cuir Ottoman. It's also a different type, but still is there lurking as an undercurrent. The cedar is a mystery to me here because I simply don't smell it.

What I do get after the fruit note opening is what I can only construe as a concoction of spices similar to what I used to use when I was an active Chef. It seems as if barely a hint of thyme, rosemary and dill weed were mixed in with coconut. This accord is really likable and lasts quite a long time on me. The leather underneath slowly builds volume and has an anise tilt along with it. It's sweet, but not overtly so. The plum is long gone ( at least to my senses ) and it would have been awesome if it lasted longer.

Suffice it to say that I find The Original by Gap a worthy addition to my ever changing and stripped down wardrobe. I've seen 1ml. samples cost more than what I paid for this bottle. Big thumbs up from Aromi for this bargain bin assassin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Silver by Etienne Aigner