Timbuktu by L'Artisan

I keep revisiting Bertrand Duchaufour's creation because, for whatever reason, the presence of the fragrance seems to change each time I wear it. On any given wearing, it seems stronger than the time before it and the reverse is also true.

In spite of Timbuktu's chameleon-like strength, this is a very good scent. If it wasn't, I doubt I'd keep wearing it in order to understand it a bit better. It's extremely doubtful that the fragrance has an innate inconsistency with its strength and sillage, so the perception problem is surely on my end.

I have been fortunate enough to review a few excellent incense fragrances as of late. It seems Timbuktu will have to added to that list. The soft touch of L'Artisan's releases works magically with Timbuktu. That approach has caused me problems due to my skin type, but it's perfect for this one. Most of Bertrand's creations are transparent to me and Timbuktu is sheer as well. It succeeds however in being able to penetrate in spite of itself.

The image to the left is of some inhabitants of Timbuktu. I have no idea of knowing whether or not the fragrance captures the essence of the locale and its people. If, in fact it does, then these folks and their abode smell pretty damn good.

My wearings of Timbuktu convinced me that this scent is about incense. Soft, billowy incense at the core with some tastefully executed fruit and spice notes framing the smokiness. None of the accompanying notes are extroverted and take a team-player attitude.

There's subtle aromas of spicy resins while myrrh joins forces with the incense. Patchouli and vetiver bring their game to the table as well, but their additions are
realized only when Timbuktu starts drying down. They are soft renditions on my skin and others may get a more pronounced version of them. I kind of enjoy them more being passive. It allows that incense note to remain at the heart of the scent.

The previous L'Artisan I reviewed ( I believe ) was Navegar and I thought it was high time I came across a fragrance from this house that I not only liked, but worked on my skin. Timbuktu can surely be added to that shortlist and it has even better presence that Navegar.

If any readers are looking for a transparent incense fragrance that smells flat out terrific, you need to sample Timbuktu. This isn't only about incense, but you need to find that out for yourselves. Big thumbs up from Aromi for Bertrand's Mali masterpeice.

Comments

  1. Timbuktu never ceases to make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bloody Frida ! Yes indeed, it's really good and I think I'm going to add it to my wardrobe very soon. What I like best is that it's wearable all year round.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited