Skip to main content

Aoud Lime by Montale

Oud, Rose, Orris, Saffron, Sandalwood, Patchouli.

I'm trying very hard not to be ( or sound ) ho-hum about my wearings of Aoud Lime. Just how many variations of a dominant note can one do and still keep the releases interesting, cutting edge and viable? I almost feel like the mystery man behind this house is not going to stop tweaking the same theme until there is enough customer disinterest to prove a broader palette is sorely needed. If there was a petition for it, I'd surely sign it.

Naturally, I've found Aoud Lime to be more of the same, tired song with the exception of how the Orris is tuned in this scent. It's retro smelling to me and I'm making an educated guess that Origanum was implemented to achieve that slightly burnt, tar-herbaceous accord that rears its head during the base and drydown.

Lime, you say? I can't find any, but perhaps the nose behind this release will disagree. I don't experience citrus in any fashion, but I can't say I'm disappointed. The Orris is enough contrast for me and it is an interesting element in the scheme of Aoud Lime.

The totality of this fragrance is acceptable. I'm simply growing tired of how this house continues to cram Agarwood down the throats of consumers. I'm a chef and reasonably creative, but there's only so many ways I can serve eggs. In the end, they're still eggs, regardless of the garnish I throw on the plate.

Sillage is good and longevity is approximately 6 hours or a little more on my skin. I cannot muster anything better than a neutral rating for this Montale. As always, a sample wear is highly recommended.


Comments

  1. This has to be the worst Montale ever and one of the worst fragrances ever. No lime at all, pure nose singing assault. Interestingly enough though when I smelled its drydown blind on two other people it was not such a painful experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Newport by Caswell Massey

Bergamot, Mandarin, Lemon, Lavender, Geranium, Muguet, Rose, Ambergris, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk. After wearing Newport by Caswell Massey a few times and then reading what others had to say about this recent formulation, I found some of the opinions harsh. I have no way to compare it to the heralded vintage formula, nor can I use memory as I've never tried the original. Enter the current version. I do agree with some reviews that this rendition does not bring about the sense of beach and salt, but there's a long line of fragrances that fail to represent their depictions. However, Newport isn't so far off the mark that it's a complete misrepresentation. I can imagine wearing Newport ( or something similar ) in a beach setting. It smells classic due to the way Citrus, Lavender and Geranium are implemented. It's assuredly retro, but it seems to have that intangible I like that keeps me sniffing. Newport, at least on my skin, is top heavy in the sens...

Black Suede by Avon

Nutmeg, Clove, Amber, Musk, Moss, Wood Notes. Yes.........I am reviewing one of the Rodney Dangerfield's of fragrance. Black Suede has been gracing medicine cabinets, for better or worse, since 1980 my friends. If you're expecting me to inform you ( like others may have already ) that Black Suede is a nasty scrubber, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're expecting a glowing review claiming it's a diamond in the rough, you won't hear that from me either. I will say though that Black Suede doesn't deserve the hate it's received and most of that is due to snobbery aimed at Avon products in general. I kid you not when I state that a close relative to this fragrance is Cacharel Pour L'Homme. The array of spice in both ensure comparison, but the "smoother" of the two is Black Suede due to its implementation of Amber. While wearing Black Suede, one can detect a hint of "drugstore". That quality doesn't manife...

Lanvin L'Homme

Lord knows the world has enough fresh woody citrus fragrances.  It's a hackneyed genre of masculine perfume, having been done to death by countless designer firms cranking these things out since the 1990s, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.  Lanvin L'Homme, released in 1997, is one of the early woody citrus releases, but it (along with Essenza di Zegna) stands out because it's one of the best.  That may sound like it's not saying much, but Lanvin L'Homme really is excellent. I won't get into a long treatise about all of the notes contained in this and how they evolve.  Lanvin L'Homme is sparkling, spicy, woody, transparent and dry.  What I love about this scent is how brilliantly it uses vetiver - the vetiver gives Lanvin L'Homme a woody, dry and somewhat bitter smell, but it also manages to create an effect of sustaining the citrus top notes for several hours.  This results in a fragrance that smells fresh and cheerful from beginning ...