Stetson Cologne Spray by Coty

Bergamot, Clary Sage, Lavender, Lime, Lemon.
Carnation, Cedar, Geranium, Jasmine, Orris Root, Patchouli, Vetiver, Amber, Honey, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

The first impression I get when spritzing on Stetson Original is the classic aroma I've come to expect from the notes you see listed in the accords above. With scent, it all comes down to how the ingredients  are tuned. Another fragrance could use this exact accord and not smell remotely similar. Stetson's aroma is indicative of classic construction and the word "cologne" in its name belies the strength it actually has.

Stetson opens with an eye opening shot of Citrus and Clary Sage supported by Carnation, Honey and Vanilla. The citrus is zesty and the bite of it compliments the Carnation. The assertive introduction settles down in a few minutes to reveal slowly rising woods, earth and floral tones. There's also a slightly feral quality in the mix that's partly sweet to go along with its growl.

The Vanilla augmented with a hint of what must be Honey is such that, as I sample-wear this, I find it rather addicting. I keep sniffing it and that's usually a good indicator of a nice component. I do have to say that Stetson does have the "cologne" vibe, but it's not a negative here. It is masculine and it seems more suited for mature men. Again, in spite of my just stereotyping this fragrance, it's not a drawback. It simply is what it is. I normally don't care for colognes, but there's always exceptions in life and I find Stetson a very good, bang-for-the-buck example.

From its opening of jazzed up citrus, compliments of Sage and zesty notes, Stetson transitions rather smoothly by lowering the initial presence and raising some earth tones augmented with a scratchy but sensual vanilla finish.

Is it a terrific bargain? I can't say I find many terrific fragrances regardless of price, but for the peanuts this costs, it would behoove classic masculine lovers to try this if they haven't already.  It's an intelligent choice for casual situations when cost is a factor and you enjoy retro aromas.

Sillage is strong the first few minutes, then quickly becomes moderate. Longevity is approximately 4 hours on me and then evolves into a comfortable skin scent that lasts even longer than that. Thumbs up from Aromi for Stetson Original by Coty. As always, a sample wear is highly recommended.

Comments

  1. I kind of thought this one smelled like Norell, or even Tabu/Old Spice, with a distinctly feminine vibe to it. It's really nice stuff though because its old-school, rich, projectile-sillage characteristics are very well crafted, and classy. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling they didn't really mess with Stetson too much over the years. Still smells the same to me. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bryan. I would think Stetson is related to the ones you mentioned. Some of the vintage "feminines" I have sampled over the years were as macho as the masculines. I also agree that Stetson stills smells like I remember it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited