Skip to main content

Ambra Iris 20% Extrait by Dr. Vranjes

Patchouli, Grey Amber, Florentine Iris, Myrrh.

Recently, I stumbled upon 2 new 50ml. bottles of Dr. Vranjes Ambra Iris and Rosa Cassis. Both are advertised as 20% Extrait, however both wear like an Eau de Toilette on my skin. Notwithstanding, I'm glad to have both in my collection and rotation. The presence and longevity of each is like that of a substantial EDT and rarely do I need or desire more than that these days. It truly pays to periodically peruse your local Goodwill and Mission stores for gems such as these.

My first impression of Ambra Iris was that of Molinard Patchouli. I could not help making the comparison as I like the Molinard and was compelled to do a side by side. During the wearings, Ambra Iris proved similar, but a bit lighter and brighter. Suffice it to say that they are first cousins and leave it at that.

Ambra Iris is really about Patchouli. I guess I expected a deep and rich, resinous amber with powdery qualities, but instead I experienced a Patch-dominant release. The Patchouli rendition is well done and performs like a high end fragrance that features the note. The listed Amber, Iris and Myrrh accent the patchouli in a subtle fashion. I'd be willing to say that Ambra Iris could hold its own with most niche releases of this genre.

Sillage is above average with longevity approximately 6 hours on my skin. Thumbs up from Aromi for Dr. Vranjes misnamed Ambra Iris. As always, a sample wear is highly recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newport by Caswell Massey

Bergamot, Mandarin, Lemon, Lavender, Geranium, Muguet, Rose, Ambergris, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk. After wearing Newport by Caswell Massey a few times and then reading what others had to say about this recent formulation, I found some of the opinions harsh. I have no way to compare it to the heralded vintage formula, nor can I use memory as I've never tried the original. Enter the current version. I do agree with some reviews that this rendition does not bring about the sense of beach and salt, but there's a long line of fragrances that fail to represent their depictions. However, Newport isn't so far off the mark that it's a complete misrepresentation. I can imagine wearing Newport ( or something similar ) in a beach setting. It smells classic due to the way Citrus, Lavender and Geranium are implemented. It's assuredly retro, but it seems to have that intangible I like that keeps me sniffing. Newport, at least on my skin, is top heavy in the sens...

Black Suede by Avon

Nutmeg, Clove, Amber, Musk, Moss, Wood Notes. Yes.........I am reviewing one of the Rodney Dangerfield's of fragrance. Black Suede has been gracing medicine cabinets, for better or worse, since 1980 my friends. If you're expecting me to inform you ( like others may have already ) that Black Suede is a nasty scrubber, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're expecting a glowing review claiming it's a diamond in the rough, you won't hear that from me either. I will say though that Black Suede doesn't deserve the hate it's received and most of that is due to snobbery aimed at Avon products in general. I kid you not when I state that a close relative to this fragrance is Cacharel Pour L'Homme. The array of spice in both ensure comparison, but the "smoother" of the two is Black Suede due to its implementation of Amber. While wearing Black Suede, one can detect a hint of "drugstore". That quality doesn't manife...

Lanvin L'Homme

Lord knows the world has enough fresh woody citrus fragrances.  It's a hackneyed genre of masculine perfume, having been done to death by countless designer firms cranking these things out since the 1990s, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.  Lanvin L'Homme, released in 1997, is one of the early woody citrus releases, but it (along with Essenza di Zegna) stands out because it's one of the best.  That may sound like it's not saying much, but Lanvin L'Homme really is excellent. I won't get into a long treatise about all of the notes contained in this and how they evolve.  Lanvin L'Homme is sparkling, spicy, woody, transparent and dry.  What I love about this scent is how brilliantly it uses vetiver - the vetiver gives Lanvin L'Homme a woody, dry and somewhat bitter smell, but it also manages to create an effect of sustaining the citrus top notes for several hours.  This results in a fragrance that smells fresh and cheerful from beginning ...