Skip to main content

Givenchy Gentleman Vintage formula

Bergamot, Lemon, Rose, Honey, Cinnamon.
Patchouli, Jasmine, Cedar, Orris root.
Amber, Vetiver, Patchouli, Leather, Moss, Musk, Vanilla.

Risking the snobbery label, once again I have to praise the vintage formula over that of the current rendition. I have tried several wearings of the newer and there's nothing wrong with it. It simply doesn't compare to the original.

You have to love the patchouli note to admire Givenchy Gentleman. This is refined ruggedness as opposed to hippie. Patchouli is, more or less, a pigeon-holed note. The difficulty lies in making it appealing to those who don't necessarily love the aroma of it. I suppose if I was on the fence with patchouli, I may pass on Gentleman ( in any of its renditions ), but it's such a well done masculine version that the possibility of numerous sample wears would be likely.

The vintage formula is aggressive from the initial application, but within 5 minutes or so calms down to reveal a dirty jasmine-rose smothered in patchouli. The citrus accompaniment is rather short lived on me and it seems to be present only as a conventional courtesy. It dilutes the patchouli enough to where it's not overwhelming.

By the time the heart accord arrives, an earthy tone envelopes the composition and precedes the arrival of leather. The ratio of vetiver and leathery moss keeps Givenchy Gentleman in the masculine category. It is this combination that ( to me ) is the magic of this fragrance. Surprisingly, it's not overbearing and the volume of the accords is acceptable.

Through the life of the wearings, Givenchy Gentleman never attains a genuine softness. It is always a bit edgy, even when everything becomes smoother. The volume ( naturally ) dies down, yet Gentleman never fully
relaxes into a comfort scent. It always has something left to do and I enjoy the insinuation of energy in this creation.

The drydown and beyond is merely a continuation of gritty floral notes, earthy patchouli and a well done woody-mossy-leather combo. Long into the life of the scent, a wispy oriental vibe takes this home.

Sillage is good to strong and longevity is half the day. Big thumbs up for Givenchy's classic Patchouli bomb that goes by the name of Gentleman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newport by Caswell Massey

Bergamot, Mandarin, Lemon, Lavender, Geranium, Muguet, Rose, Ambergris, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk. After wearing Newport by Caswell Massey a few times and then reading what others had to say about this recent formulation, I found some of the opinions harsh. I have no way to compare it to the heralded vintage formula, nor can I use memory as I've never tried the original. Enter the current version. I do agree with some reviews that this rendition does not bring about the sense of beach and salt, but there's a long line of fragrances that fail to represent their depictions. However, Newport isn't so far off the mark that it's a complete misrepresentation. I can imagine wearing Newport ( or something similar ) in a beach setting. It smells classic due to the way Citrus, Lavender and Geranium are implemented. It's assuredly retro, but it seems to have that intangible I like that keeps me sniffing. Newport, at least on my skin, is top heavy in the sens...

Black Suede by Avon

Nutmeg, Clove, Amber, Musk, Moss, Wood Notes. Yes.........I am reviewing one of the Rodney Dangerfield's of fragrance. Black Suede has been gracing medicine cabinets, for better or worse, since 1980 my friends. If you're expecting me to inform you ( like others may have already ) that Black Suede is a nasty scrubber, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're expecting a glowing review claiming it's a diamond in the rough, you won't hear that from me either. I will say though that Black Suede doesn't deserve the hate it's received and most of that is due to snobbery aimed at Avon products in general. I kid you not when I state that a close relative to this fragrance is Cacharel Pour L'Homme. The array of spice in both ensure comparison, but the "smoother" of the two is Black Suede due to its implementation of Amber. While wearing Black Suede, one can detect a hint of "drugstore". That quality doesn't manife...

Lanvin L'Homme

Lord knows the world has enough fresh woody citrus fragrances.  It's a hackneyed genre of masculine perfume, having been done to death by countless designer firms cranking these things out since the 1990s, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.  Lanvin L'Homme, released in 1997, is one of the early woody citrus releases, but it (along with Essenza di Zegna) stands out because it's one of the best.  That may sound like it's not saying much, but Lanvin L'Homme really is excellent. I won't get into a long treatise about all of the notes contained in this and how they evolve.  Lanvin L'Homme is sparkling, spicy, woody, transparent and dry.  What I love about this scent is how brilliantly it uses vetiver - the vetiver gives Lanvin L'Homme a woody, dry and somewhat bitter smell, but it also manages to create an effect of sustaining the citrus top notes for several hours.  This results in a fragrance that smells fresh and cheerful from beginning ...