Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC Vintage Formula

Basil, Bergamot, Lemon, Pimento, Orange, Rosewood.Carnation, Cedar, Cinnamon, Jasmin, Patchouli, Rose,Sandalwood.Amber, Benzoin, Labdanum, Leather, Moss, Vanilla.

Not a whole, helluva lot more can be said for and about this 1965 classic masculine from the house of Guerlain.  There's a veritable warehouse of reviews on it and for good reason. It's been around for a long time and so many ( of all different age groups ) have been exposed to it one way or another.

I am a respecter of Habit Rouge more than I am a wearer of it. I have worn the vintage ( of which I own and am reviewing ), the Eau de Toilette and the Parfum rendition. Out of the three, I care the least for the EDT as it comes off a bit shrill on me. Something in me likes the fact that I have it in the wardrobe, but I rarely ( if ever ) choose to wear it.

I believe this has to do with other fragrances I have to choose from on a daily basis. I simply like them better than I do Habit Rouge, yet this fragrance smells extremely good. It's hard to reconcile that last statement, but it is what is. I'd rather smell it on someone else than wear it myself.

The opening of vintage Habit Rouge is a spicy citrus with a terrific implementation of orange. The bergamot and lemon are enhanced by this well tuned orange note. It seems to have some peel to it, along with just enough zest to make it unique and interesting. As this top accord unfolds after a few minutes, a wood note and carnation assemble and affix themselves to the opening. This is what makes Habit Rouge instantly recognizable to me.

The floral array of carnation, jasmin and rose is headed up by the carnation. These are blended very nicely and is yet another indication of the care that went into this original formula. As the wearings ensue, Habit Rouge becomes more woody and resin begins to manifest. This is a cue for the leather to gently unravel itself and together they make for a very comfortable stage in the development.

The base and drydown reveal a soft moss with woody amber and vanilla. It's a classic finish and one of the best there is at it. It's smooth and without nary a ripple like the rest of the fragrance. I can still detect the carnation and some resin and this accents the drydown nicely. The longevity is actually pretty good for an Eau de Cologne and is on par with EDT's of today.

Yes, I know. I said I rarely wear it, yet my review is glowing. It's terrific, but like I said, I'd rather smell it on someone else. I also can see woman pulling this off no problem whatsoever. Sillage is very nice and longevity is about 4 hours on my skin. Big thumbs up from Aromi for the cologne I rarely wear by Guerlain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited