Skip to main content

Maxim's Pour Homme

Bergamot, Lavender, Fruit, Sage.
Muguet, Jasmine, Cedar, Sandalwood, Carnation.
Amber, Moss, Patchouli, Musk and Leather.

What started as a promotional gimmick for a business venture resulted in the creation of Maxim's Pour Homme. When someone asks me to name a masculine frag that is, well......masculine, I always mention Maxim's Pour Homme.

The opening accord of Maxim's Pour Homme is eye opening. I mean that literally. The gravity and masculinity is immediate. It rushes across the skin, escalating into a very noticeable sillage before a cease-fire is called. This takes about 5 minutes and then Maxim's is content to simply posture as the aggressor.

I'll never know what aura Pierre Cardin was trying to encapsulate while creating this masculine. To me, Maxim's is a no nonsense, blue collar fragrance that is physical. This is true, not only in aroma, but in presence as well.

Maxim's has a thick brow and leans on the brooding side. It's muscular and you feel its power once applied. It opens with what I call a dark and edgy "bergender" accord that is already mixing it up with sage. The mysterious fruit note is like a mixture of pineapple and plum. It too has already landed some blows and the wearing isn't even 2 minutes old. The bell soon rings to end Round #1.





Maxim's ( thankfully ) has stamina and endures the initial onslaught. The dust settles and finds Maxim's still in gladiator mode, but now he's in the corner sitting on his stool. The corner man dispenses with the obligatory pep talk and sends him out for round #2.

We now find Maxim's still energetic, but content to simply look intimidating and dance around his opponent. This is a more comfortable Maxim's and ultimately more endearing. The combativeness has decreased and replaced by fluid movements. Maxim's Pour Homme is Rocky Balboa and promptly replaced with Apollo Creed. This transition is what makes Maxim's a periodic, cold weather wear for me. It starts out as a melee and by the end of the heart accord, Maxim's is a gangster's ballet.

The base and drydown is a natural lowering of volume and intensity. A leathery moss steps into the ring and gives this fighter a little different look. There's also hints of resin with the musk and patchouli happy to sit ringside and watch.

Maxim's Pour Homme. Heavyweight with a record of 4,681 wins and all by technical knockout. Sillage and longevity will satisfy even the most bloodthirsty.

Big thumbs up from Aromi for this macho S.O.B. that goes by the name of Maxim's Pour Homme.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newport by Caswell Massey

Bergamot, Mandarin, Lemon, Lavender, Geranium, Muguet, Rose, Ambergris, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk. After wearing Newport by Caswell Massey a few times and then reading what others had to say about this recent formulation, I found some of the opinions harsh. I have no way to compare it to the heralded vintage formula, nor can I use memory as I've never tried the original. Enter the current version. I do agree with some reviews that this rendition does not bring about the sense of beach and salt, but there's a long line of fragrances that fail to represent their depictions. However, Newport isn't so far off the mark that it's a complete misrepresentation. I can imagine wearing Newport ( or something similar ) in a beach setting. It smells classic due to the way Citrus, Lavender and Geranium are implemented. It's assuredly retro, but it seems to have that intangible I like that keeps me sniffing. Newport, at least on my skin, is top heavy in the sens...

Black Suede by Avon

Nutmeg, Clove, Amber, Musk, Moss, Wood Notes. Yes.........I am reviewing one of the Rodney Dangerfield's of fragrance. Black Suede has been gracing medicine cabinets, for better or worse, since 1980 my friends. If you're expecting me to inform you ( like others may have already ) that Black Suede is a nasty scrubber, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're expecting a glowing review claiming it's a diamond in the rough, you won't hear that from me either. I will say though that Black Suede doesn't deserve the hate it's received and most of that is due to snobbery aimed at Avon products in general. I kid you not when I state that a close relative to this fragrance is Cacharel Pour L'Homme. The array of spice in both ensure comparison, but the "smoother" of the two is Black Suede due to its implementation of Amber. While wearing Black Suede, one can detect a hint of "drugstore". That quality doesn't manife...

Lanvin L'Homme

Lord knows the world has enough fresh woody citrus fragrances.  It's a hackneyed genre of masculine perfume, having been done to death by countless designer firms cranking these things out since the 1990s, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.  Lanvin L'Homme, released in 1997, is one of the early woody citrus releases, but it (along with Essenza di Zegna) stands out because it's one of the best.  That may sound like it's not saying much, but Lanvin L'Homme really is excellent. I won't get into a long treatise about all of the notes contained in this and how they evolve.  Lanvin L'Homme is sparkling, spicy, woody, transparent and dry.  What I love about this scent is how brilliantly it uses vetiver - the vetiver gives Lanvin L'Homme a woody, dry and somewhat bitter smell, but it also manages to create an effect of sustaining the citrus top notes for several hours.  This results in a fragrance that smells fresh and cheerful from beginning ...