IL Lancetti

Anise, Artemesia, Basil, Bergamot, Lavender, Neroli.
Aldehyde, Geranium, Coriander, Clary Sage.
Amber, Leather, Moss, Musk, Vetiver, Cedar.

Il Lancetti has been around since 1991 and only in the last 3 years have I purchased a bottle. It was one of the fragrances that had to grow into my sensibilities. It's not that I didn't care for it at first. Let's just say that I wasn't quite ready for it's understated "terrificness". You will also learn that I reserve the right to make up words as I go along. My being on the fence with Il Lancetti in the past had a lot to do with my predilection for powerhouse scents at that time. I needed to step back a bit from those in order to not only appreciate ones like Lancetti, but to continue my affinity for the strongmen of the perfume world.

What I like most about the opening of this masculine is the interaction of anise and lavender. This may be the best pairing of these two notes I've ever smelled. From the initial spray, Il Lancetti is utterly static and sans a rough edge or flaw in its glass-like exterior.

This is smooth plus one and intermittent whiffs of spice and woodiness abound. The Neroli and Bergamot are a low volume, steady duo and they contribute a soft version of hybrid orange. All this rolled up into Il Lancetti's fragrant package is an extremely enjoyable and comfortable accord.

The heart of Lancetti is on par with the beginning in terms of quality and volume. Coriander and Sage contribute a very nice spicy, herbal aspect that stops short of aromatic. Il Lancetti finally decides to step forth from the smooth zone when the base and drydown occur.

This isn't to say that it changes drastically, because it doesn't. It simply develops enough grit from amber, leather and vetiver to signal a change. There's also a woodiness underneath holding everything else up. My only beef with Il Lancetti is that after an hour, it's no more than a skin scent and longevity is about 4 hours on me.

Since this problem can be easily solved via atomizers, I have no qualms about picking up another bottle should my current 100ml run out. Il Lancetti is surprisingly good and an easy wear in basically all venues. The 1980's and early 90's were good times for fragrances.

Thumbs up from Aromi for Il Lancetti.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited