Back to Black by Kilian

Bergamot, Camomile, Geranium, Cardamom, Coriander, Honey, cedarwood, Olibanum, Patchouli, Ginger, Benzoin, Ciste, Ambergris, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Cherry, Raspberry.

I am revisiting Back to Black to give it another chance after my initial review from 2010. I didn't exactly have a positive opinion of it and since I had quite a bit left, I concluded another wear was in order. Numerous people seem to truly enjoy this release and the first time around proved unimpressive for me.

Back to Black's opening is my favorite part of the fragrance. Unfortunately, after just a few minutes, it evolves into ( what is to be ) the remainder of the scent.

The opening of Back to Black implements a subtle citrus with hints of balsam, spice and some herbal elements. While the top accord is still developing, a dry amber merges with it and the result is extremely pleasant. This salutation is smooth, but still has enough teeth to be interesting.

There's a slew of pretty interesting notes listed for Back to Black, but only a few of them ever realize on my skin. It's very possible that others experience some of the notes I do not. This fragrance, while having depth and substance, wears linear on me every time I apply it. That's not what disappoints me however.

Once the opening accord transitions, a dominant Tonka note begins permeating the fragrance. This is my problem with Back to Black. I don't dislike Tonka except when it becomes a little too loud. I'm reminded of Pinaud Talc with balsamic tones added to it. On, the other hand, Tonka lovers just may revel in Back to Black because of these elements. There's still a soft, spicy aspect running through the entire fragrance, but once the opening subsides, the talcum quality proves to be too much for me.

The drydown affords me a micro-vanilla being added to the balsamic Tonka. Back to Black, in its entirety, smells very rich and sturdy, but it simply isn't my cup of tea. The Tonka is tuned too high for my liking. Any woodiness that I was looking forward to from Cedar or Patchouli cannot break through the powdery texture that comes to life from the heart accord onward. Back to Black ( for me ) is truly too expensive for how it transpires on my skin.

Sillage is good and longevity even better. Neutral rating from Aromi for Back to Black by Kilian. A sample wear is most assuredly recommended.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited