Givenchy Xeryus ( Old formula)

You would expect a 1986 release to be the typical no-holds barred, cliched powerbomb, yet sometimes a fragrance from this era  will surprise you with quality over volume.

Xeryus is a leathery,floral- fougere that distinguishes itself with smooth masculinity. It doesn't yell or enter the room before you do. I remember a time when I did not like this fragrance, yet life is a confusing experience sometimes. I now hold the original formula of Xeryus in high regard. It's execution of oakmoss could be used as an example to others. ( NOTE***I have not experienced the more recent releases***)

Xeryus is a veritable storeroom of notes, but as we all know, the kitchen sink mentality doesn't always hold water. There's no leaks here however as Xeryus glides through it's seamless transitions like a ballet. I am becoming convinced that, in order for me to appreciate vintage frags more fully and accurately, I must continue to sample-wear the endless, modern schlock that inundates the buying public. It's only this way that I can really "see" just how good some of the classic masculines are that I may dismissed too hastily in the past.

What I notice this time around is the floral array in Xeryus; namely the jasmin-rose combo. The opening is super smooth and for me, the jasmin-rose is right there in the mix. It's actually where I smell this duo the best. A mossy undercurrent is there as well from the initial volley hiding underneath a very fluid accord of citric lavender. The floral array begins to blur after 5 minutes, giving way to wood notes and a hint of green.

I don't recognize incense as others have in the base accord, but the leathery moss is on the earthy side, compliments of vetiver and some musk. A subtle amber is realized in the extended drydown and I can still detect a very determined jasmin-rose in there along with the basenotes.

The volume is very polite and longevity is exceptional. This fragrance is smooth with a capitol S and a winner from the house of Givenchy. Big thumbs up from Aromi for Xeryus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited