Le Labo Oud 27

I recently received a sample of this from a generous basenoter and was glad since the only other Le Labo I can recall sampling was Rose 31. I have also been looking to add an Oud fragrance to my wardrobe for awhile now and I can't seem to find "the one" just yet. I have a few front runners, but nothing definitive.

Oud 27 is very straightforward and linear on my skin and even the listed accords are simplistic. LS has Atlas Cedar, Incense, Patchouli, Saffron and Gaiac Wood. The opening combination of Saffron and Gaiac isn't exactly a blissful union, but within 10 minutes they find a way to blend more successfully. It opens with a bit of skankiness from the saffron as it intermingles with the cedar/incense duo.

I've heard others regard this as fecal, but I don't get a feces aroma. I do, however, get a Johnson&Johnson band-aid note from the combination of cedar, saffron and gaiac. It's a tad weird and in spite of it not being unpleasant, it's a deal breaker for me. It could very well be that too many houses jumping on the Oud bandwagon should have never got on in the first place.

I like all the listed notes for Oud 27, but they don't work for me here. The rubbery plastic aroma that is mimicking the band-aid begins to annoy me after 20 minutes or so. I find it distracting and wearisome. The best I can give Oud 27 is a neutral rating, but even that is being generous. I recommend a few sample wears of this before a purchase. A blind buy could be a big mistake.

Comments

  1. Did you was this off after the 20 minutes? To me this is one of the fragrances that develop the most. In the opening I do not get band-aid, I get a mild case of halitosis. Like having an animal breathe on my face. But the deep drydown is a whole different story. A woody masculine from the 70's or 80's. Although I now enjoy the opening, I avoid getting out of the house before a good half hour has passed from initial application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't get rid of the bandage aroma even after it had been on my skin for hours.

    On me, it's like a plastic-rubber smell that isn't unpleasant, but just not something I want to wear. Imagine a pristine, unused pamper with a large bandaid stuck to it. It's the combo of those two things that my nose hones in on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is strange because what you are describing is a typical oud accord and I get no standard oud at al from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only "ouds" I have tried to date are the likes of Montale, L'Artisan, etc......

    True Oud aficionados don't speak highly of these commercialized renditions, but I wouldn't know real oud if it hit me in the face. I never have loved it enough to seek out the genuine article.

    If, like you say, typical oud smells like what I described, then I will probably never add one to my wardrobe in spite of my search for a wearable one. I enjoyed the Tom Oud and L'Artisan's is very acceptable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited