Grisens by Phaedon

Pierre Guillaume is behind the Phaedon releases and he seems to be on a mission of sorts the past few years. Trust me when I tell you I'm not complaining because he puts out innovative fragrances. The ones I have sampled so far have been well made, but I wouldn't expect less.

Grisens is not one that falls into the innovative category, but it's one, excellent incense perfume. On me, it's dusty dry and isn't of the conventional, smoky variety. I can find only 2 listed notes that make up Grisens and they consist of Incense and Sandalwood.

Grisens is about a grey incense that, from what I've read, is indigenous to the island of Awaji. About a century and a half ago, this island became the hub for Japans incense needs. Apparently, the winds on the island of Awaji result in only seasonal work. This "disadvantage" resulted in the blossoming of what once was the cottage industry of incense. The winds are also reported to be advantageous in drying the incense, so it became a win-win situation for not only the island, but Japan as well. 'Funny how things work out sometimes.

In spite of only listing Incense and Sandalwood, I also detect an excellent, musky vibe going on underneath in addition to subtle spices. Grisens is slightly earthy, resiny and woody. It also reminds me of Incense that hasn't been lit.

Sillage is very nice and longevity is commensurate. Both of Pierre's recent endeavors ( Huitieme Art and Phaedon ) have left me feeling very good about the other releases under both banners. I will no doubt sample them very soon. An enthusiastic thumbs up from Aromi for Phaedon's Grisen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited