Histoires de Parfums Moulin Rouge 1889

Orange, Plum, Cinnamon, Absinthe, Rose, Iris, Patchouli, Musk.

I suppose I was hoping to be surprised when I chose this and placed the sample in my cart. Reading the listed notes and a smattering of reviews, I did not hold it in high regard ( blind ), but I've been known to be won over by scents that I have no anticipation for.

Moulin Rouge is feminine as expected. I wasn't exactly impressed with the Can-Can descriptions because, if it indeed smelled like the promotional filler, I would surely find it too retro for my tastes. Let's just say that Moulin Rouge straddles the fence between then and now. The opening and heart are nods to the past and the base ( at least to me ) is a bit more in keeping with current tastes.

My initial impression was that of a leather purse chock full of mascaras and tubes of assorted lipstick. The suggestion of leather is tangible, yet it's not an aspect that lasts the life of the scent. It's realized in the heart accord, then slowly succumbs to the base.

Moulin Rouge has citrus and plum listed, but for whatever reason, they never materialize on me. I don't experience a conventional opening, but instead get fast-tracked to the mid notes. It's leathery, slightly powdery  with only a hint of spice. It takes about 10 minutes for a subtle, dry rose note to accentuate the femininity that is Moulin Rouge.

The heart is commendable for its longevity. The onset of the base is signaled by a slowly emerging woody musk that possesses an earthiness to it. The iris and demure rose are still manifesting themselves and I find the end of Moulin Rouge to be the most enjoyable stage of the wearings.

Moulin Rouge happens to be a well done fragrance that I don't particularly care for. Truthfully, I'm not overly fond of this genre, so I've done the best I can in reviewing this fragrance. I do however like the drydown and wouldn't mind, in the least, being next to a woman smelling like that. Sillage is good and longevity is approximately 5 hours on me. The best rating I can give is a neutral, but you may find this much more to your liking. A sample wear is definitely recommended.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited