Bois de Santal by Keiko Mecheri ( original release )

Sandalwood, Osmanthus, Ambergris, Tonka Bean.

I'm compelled to add another review of Bois de Santal because of scoring a bottle in the original packaging. It is a bit different than my sample from the current black bottle and the same thing occurred when I purchased an original bottle of Sanguine and compared that to the current rendition.

Both bottles in the original packaging are deeper, stronger and longer lasting than the current. This is especially so with Sanguine. What a terrific surprise that was as it has great projection and lasts over 8 hours on me. The differences between the Bois de Santal versions are not as pronounced, but still evident to me.

What I notice most in the original Bois de Santal is the sandalwood note itself. It's definitely more evident than the black bottle and is a borderline creamy version. The opening has what I believe is bergamot in the mix, but it's very short lived and I could also be mistaken. More obvious is the oncoming sandalwood accompanied by subtle fruit.

The sandal and berry-like quality seem to attain the slightly creamy texture I experience. It's not loud by any means, but still has substance. The slow onset of amber lends a sweetness that compliments this linear fragrance. There's a very soft resin as well, but I only start to smell that after 20 minutes or so. The woodiness morphs as the life of the scent marches on. I notice it more toward the base and drydown and in this version of Bois de Santal, it really is the lead note in spite of the accents. While I enjoyed the black bottle sampling, I am happy to have acquired this version as I feel it is superior.

What I don't experience is the listed Tonka. It must be tuned very low as I usually can detect that note rather easily. There's no fatigue causing that as Bois de Santal's presence is moderate at best. I'm not disappointed about its absence as what has already transpired is enough for me to enjoy.

Even in this initial release, Keiko's understated qualities are evident. I've come to expect that from her creations and have grown to like the quiet substance inherent in this house. Still waters run deep and so does most of the Mecheri line.

Just a few years ago, I wasn't in a position to appreciate that. I busied myself with boisterous scents and looked disparagingly at ones that lacked a certain volume and presence. Today, I appreciate both kinds and once again, I give a thumbs up to Keiko's original release of Bois de Santal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited