Skip to main content

Ferrari Essence Oud by Ferrari

Agarwood, Cumin, Saffron, Rose, Elemi Resin, Labdanum, Leather.

Curious about this scent, I decided to pick up a 10ml. mini very recently. I'd been meaning to for some time now and am happy to have the opportunity to wear and review this release. Even in the case of being disappointed, a blind buy for this quantity isn't life altering. I'm glad to report that, while I don't love it, I do like it. The drydown is especially good due to the inclusion of Labdanum. What's starts out edgy from Cumin lands softly with a sweet, resiny amber.

The opening of Ferrari is interesting. The Agarwood is accented by Cumin and Saffron and a leather quality is lurking underneath from the onset. This introduction has substance as you would expect, but it's not as pungent as others in the genre.

This really is a westernized rendition of a grouping of notes that gives some a difficult time. Between the bombardment of Oud fragrances hitting the market the past few years and ingrained western tastes, Ferrari may well be receiving a lukewarm reception for their version of Oud. I could be wrong about that, but it's an educated guess on my part.

Personally, I like this oud rendition more than the majority I have sampled, as it is toned down a notch or two without coming off as thin or convoluted. I especially enjoy the base and drydown.

Ferrari Essence Oud begins with a certain amount of aggression. There's woody masculinity and some animalistic traits compliments of Cumin and Leather. Essence Oud is then steered toward a more shared destination. Rose, Saffron and especially the resiny Labdanum provide a glimpse at some unexpected versatility.

Sillage is very nice and longevity is around the 8 hour mark on me. It's also easily detected the next morning. Thumbs up from Aromi for Ferrari's Essence Oud. As always, a sample wear is highly recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newport by Caswell Massey

Bergamot, Mandarin, Lemon, Lavender, Geranium, Muguet, Rose, Ambergris, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk. After wearing Newport by Caswell Massey a few times and then reading what others had to say about this recent formulation, I found some of the opinions harsh. I have no way to compare it to the heralded vintage formula, nor can I use memory as I've never tried the original. Enter the current version. I do agree with some reviews that this rendition does not bring about the sense of beach and salt, but there's a long line of fragrances that fail to represent their depictions. However, Newport isn't so far off the mark that it's a complete misrepresentation. I can imagine wearing Newport ( or something similar ) in a beach setting. It smells classic due to the way Citrus, Lavender and Geranium are implemented. It's assuredly retro, but it seems to have that intangible I like that keeps me sniffing. Newport, at least on my skin, is top heavy in the sens...

Black Suede by Avon

Nutmeg, Clove, Amber, Musk, Moss, Wood Notes. Yes.........I am reviewing one of the Rodney Dangerfield's of fragrance. Black Suede has been gracing medicine cabinets, for better or worse, since 1980 my friends. If you're expecting me to inform you ( like others may have already ) that Black Suede is a nasty scrubber, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're expecting a glowing review claiming it's a diamond in the rough, you won't hear that from me either. I will say though that Black Suede doesn't deserve the hate it's received and most of that is due to snobbery aimed at Avon products in general. I kid you not when I state that a close relative to this fragrance is Cacharel Pour L'Homme. The array of spice in both ensure comparison, but the "smoother" of the two is Black Suede due to its implementation of Amber. While wearing Black Suede, one can detect a hint of "drugstore". That quality doesn't manife...

Lanvin L'Homme

Lord knows the world has enough fresh woody citrus fragrances.  It's a hackneyed genre of masculine perfume, having been done to death by countless designer firms cranking these things out since the 1990s, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.  Lanvin L'Homme, released in 1997, is one of the early woody citrus releases, but it (along with Essenza di Zegna) stands out because it's one of the best.  That may sound like it's not saying much, but Lanvin L'Homme really is excellent. I won't get into a long treatise about all of the notes contained in this and how they evolve.  Lanvin L'Homme is sparkling, spicy, woody, transparent and dry.  What I love about this scent is how brilliantly it uses vetiver - the vetiver gives Lanvin L'Homme a woody, dry and somewhat bitter smell, but it also manages to create an effect of sustaining the citrus top notes for several hours.  This results in a fragrance that smells fresh and cheerful from beginning ...