Histoires de Parfums Noir Patchouli

Patchouli, Coriander, Cardamom.
Patchouli, Flowers, Berries.
Patchouli, Musk, Leather, Vanilla.

I've worn Noir Patchouli before and genuinely thought I had already reviewed it. I suppose it's best this way, since my current perceptions-descriptions differ ( on occasion ) with fragrances I've reviewed a few years back. We all evolve in increments and I'm certainly no exception.

This particular release is a leathery patch bordering on gnarly. My initial comparison was to that of Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve and after multiple wearings, the similarities haven't changed.  On me, they are kissing cousins with a few, minor differences.

Noir patchouli opens as a dense and penetrating leathery patchouli with a fermented fruit vibe. The "fruit" rendition is rather good and in combination with the patchouli and leather, it gives the accord some teeth. From the opening blast until the finish, Noir Patchouli cannot hide its kinship with V.I.P. Special Reserve.

There's a sweetness inherent in this composition, but it's not a conventional approach. I suppose that stands to reason since the overall feel is dark and mysterious. The tuning of Coriander and Cardamom lend a spicy balsam with woody undertones. It's a rich contribution and is evident from the initial spray until extended drydown. This is a dark version of Patchouli turned sideways by means of leather, earth tones and a dash of feral. I suppose this scent would perform well on an extremely extroverted woman, but I cannot help to think that this would work much better on the masculine persuasion.

The price point is approximately $50 per ounce on a 4 oz. bottle and a little more if the 2 oz. is purchased. Since I liken it to Vintage Giorgio and the going rate for that can be obscene at times, the price seems commensurate with quality and aroma. I thoroughly enjoy V.I.P. Special Reserve and would have no qualms going into my pocket for this if I ever run out.

The sillage is arresting in close proximity due to the gravity of notes, but it doesn't seem to enter a room before you do if you over do it a little. Noir Patchouli seems best misted than sprayed directly, but that's just my opinion. The longevity is 6 hours or more on my skin and can be easily detected the next morning.

Naturally, a sample wear is recommended since that's the intelligent ( and responsible ) thing to do. Big thumbs up from Aromi for HdP's Noir Patchouli. Whoever said Powerhouse scents were no longer made obviously hasn't tried this.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited