Artisan by John Varvatos



For as long as I can recall, I have been a sucker for orange. Whether or not it's the theme of a fragrance or a well implemented rendition of the note, I suppose I like what I like. I also own my fair share of these and have a few stockpiled for future use since everything is reformulated these days. If any fragrance becomes popular enough to keep in production, there's no telling how many times it will be "changed" over time.

Artisan, by John Varvatos has slipped by me these last few years. That is, until I obtained a large sample that was included with a bunch of others recently procured by yours truly. I admit I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. I chalk that up to the numerous, disappointing masculines presently available at our local malls. That's not to say that all things current suck. That would be assanine on my part, but let's face it, the standout releases are becoming few and far between. The ingredient restrictions surely aren't helping matters either. Artisan, by John Varvatos, has managed to smell very good in spite of it all.

The orange note represented here isn't "pure", but palpable enough to lodge in one's throat ( so to speak ). Atelier does that to me as well. This version isn't as big, fat or juicy, but good in its own right. It's definitely sufficient for the task at hand. The citric theme has impressive hang time as it remains obvious even in the base and drydown stages.

On my skin, Artisan delivers citrus, spice and musk all blended in such a way as to showcase the Orange note. The other players are there for the ride, but play a subtle and important role.  They give the citrus a different edge, plus allow for a comfortable sensuality to manifest later in the wearings.

I like this scent. Sillage is tuned exceptionally well and longevity is approximately 6 hours on my skin. Not too shabby for a citric dominant fragrance. Thumbs up from Aromi for John Varvatos and his Artisan release. A sample wear is highly recommended.

Comments

  1. I haven't liked any of the other JV frags I've sampled, and like you I wasn't expecting to like this at all. I was amazed at how good this is. The way it uses herbal notes to open up the orange and orange blossom (which I find are often too heavy in perfumes) and make the scent totally transparent is amazing. I probably won't buy this scent simply because I don't see myself wearing it often, but it is one of the best men's fragrances that have been released in the last five years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited