Cereus Number 7

Bergamot, Mandarin Oil, Clary Sage Absolute, Pepperwood, Jasmine, Saffron, Pomerose, Violet, Musk, Leather, Tonka Bean, Australian Coachwood.

I wish I had the responsibility of naming creatively blended notes. "Pepperwood, Pomerose and Coachwood" are not bad, but I would make sure the names I gave were completely absurd, catchy and of course misleading. Oh wait.......that job is already occupied by numerous folks. Okay, okay........I'm not bitchin.......I just really wish I had their job !!! I could be just as good at misnaming as they are, probably better if I focused on it. At any rate, kudos to the ones that have the good fortune of getting paid for naming the notes in accords. It's my dream job that will never come to fruition unless of course, I go through the expense of having a fragrance made, marketed and distributed; all contingent on me having final say on names.

Cereus No.7 opens up on my skin showcasing violet. Perhaps I am more sensitive than others where this particular note is concerned. More often than not, violet has the tendency to unravel in a shrill fashion when I wear a scent where it's predominant. Not all mind you, but most. The rendition in Cereus No.7 seems tempered by the deep citric and spice notes. It's an unconventional aroma made familiar by the violet. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention other notes unraveling in the top accord as well. There is a mixture of Tonka and leathery woods already on the scene, but the important aspect for me is the calming effect they all have on the violet note. I have to admit that my initial wearing left me rather unimpressed and undecided. Further wearings allowed me to become acclimated to its unconventionality. The more I wore it, the better I liked it and since I got hold of a full bottle at a terrific price, I was able to continue trying No.7.

Suffice it to say, Cereus No.7 is a leathery, masculine floral augmented with hints of balsam, earth and powder. There's also an unusual sensuality to this scent, however I don't think some would see it that way. I say that because of reviews I have already read. My take on No.7 is that its offbeat players and their respective tuning unfold on me as described and it does indeed evolve a sensual side, regardless of its subtlety.

So, do I think Cereus No.7 is a winner? The bohemian approach it uses allows it to be, but I don't believe this was ever a mainstream favorite. A minority like myself may like the eccentricity, but mall purchasers would more than likely shun a non-generic creation. Once again, we like what we like and to hell with everything else. Sillage is moderate with longevity approximately 5 hours on my skin. Thumbs up from Aromi for Cereus No.7 and its originality. As always, a sample wear is highly recommended on this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited