Skip to main content

Cachet by Matchabelli

Aldehydes, Galbanum, Herbs, Spices.
Jasmine, Orris Root, Patchouli, Rose, Vetiver.
Amber, Civet, Leather, Musk, Oakmoss.

Wearing a fragrance, any fragrance, is different than smelling it on another individual. Since I'm a mature male, it would stand to reason that I've smelled this on women during my lifetime. I was able to snag a bottle of this recently and upon applying it the first time, I truly didn't care for it. To be honest, the opening was a bit too old fashioned and sharp for my current tastes. I remember thinking that I was glad I bought this vintage perfume cheap. $1.50 US for a 99% full bottle completely intact is always a win-win.

I admit to not recognizing the aroma during the duration of the opening. It smelled like a blast from the past, but not something I recall experiencing on the female persuasion. After 5 minutes however, I did an about-face, not only liking the transition but also knowing that I had smelled this before. It was the top accord, fleeting as it is, that I had never experienced. After all, how could I? I have never worn it until now and obviously have never been around someone who just applied it to themselves.

What I found slightly crass and intrusive morphed into something different, softer and assuredly more sensual. From the heart onward, a supple green and earthy tone comes alive that is accented by a mild herbaceousness. Normally, I have no problem with Aldehydes in the top accords, but I simply don't care for it here. Luckily, it lasts only minutes and steps aside to permit the spirit of this fragrance to shine. Even Mrs. Aromi thinks Cachet is "not bad" and normally disdains 99% of what I review.

Once the opening has run its course, the sensual side of Cachet begins to unravel. The presence lowers and seems to hug the body while revealing the heavier notes in this composition. A soft, floral herbaceousness comes to fruition on me, accentuated by a dry rendition of subtle rose. Once the base and drydown commence, moss and musk integrate very politely and permit a nice resiny amber to appear during extended drydown. Sillage is good the initial 5 minutes, then reduces to polite soon after. Longevity is approximately 5 hours on me with a few more as a skin scent. Thumbs up from Aromi, in spite of the opening that I don't care for. As always, a sample wear is highly recommended.

Comments

  1. Could you tell us the size of the bottle? You can tell if it's vintage or not that way, I think. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the ones to look for are 1.9 or 3.8 ounces, whereas 1.5 and 3.2 are newer. Of course there are a few "odd" sizes out there too, which I think are older as well (smaller sizes).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Newport by Caswell Massey

Bergamot, Mandarin, Lemon, Lavender, Geranium, Muguet, Rose, Ambergris, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk. After wearing Newport by Caswell Massey a few times and then reading what others had to say about this recent formulation, I found some of the opinions harsh. I have no way to compare it to the heralded vintage formula, nor can I use memory as I've never tried the original. Enter the current version. I do agree with some reviews that this rendition does not bring about the sense of beach and salt, but there's a long line of fragrances that fail to represent their depictions. However, Newport isn't so far off the mark that it's a complete misrepresentation. I can imagine wearing Newport ( or something similar ) in a beach setting. It smells classic due to the way Citrus, Lavender and Geranium are implemented. It's assuredly retro, but it seems to have that intangible I like that keeps me sniffing. Newport, at least on my skin, is top heavy in the sens...

Black Suede by Avon

Nutmeg, Clove, Amber, Musk, Moss, Wood Notes. Yes.........I am reviewing one of the Rodney Dangerfield's of fragrance. Black Suede has been gracing medicine cabinets, for better or worse, since 1980 my friends. If you're expecting me to inform you ( like others may have already ) that Black Suede is a nasty scrubber, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're expecting a glowing review claiming it's a diamond in the rough, you won't hear that from me either. I will say though that Black Suede doesn't deserve the hate it's received and most of that is due to snobbery aimed at Avon products in general. I kid you not when I state that a close relative to this fragrance is Cacharel Pour L'Homme. The array of spice in both ensure comparison, but the "smoother" of the two is Black Suede due to its implementation of Amber. While wearing Black Suede, one can detect a hint of "drugstore". That quality doesn't manife...

Lanvin L'Homme

Lord knows the world has enough fresh woody citrus fragrances.  It's a hackneyed genre of masculine perfume, having been done to death by countless designer firms cranking these things out since the 1990s, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.  Lanvin L'Homme, released in 1997, is one of the early woody citrus releases, but it (along with Essenza di Zegna) stands out because it's one of the best.  That may sound like it's not saying much, but Lanvin L'Homme really is excellent. I won't get into a long treatise about all of the notes contained in this and how they evolve.  Lanvin L'Homme is sparkling, spicy, woody, transparent and dry.  What I love about this scent is how brilliantly it uses vetiver - the vetiver gives Lanvin L'Homme a woody, dry and somewhat bitter smell, but it also manages to create an effect of sustaining the citrus top notes for several hours.  This results in a fragrance that smells fresh and cheerful from beginning ...