Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio for Men Vintage

 

Aldehydes, Bergamot, Fruit Note, Orange, Pimento

Carnation, Cedar, Cinnamon, Orris, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood

Amber, Benzoin, Honey, Moss, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

In 2009, I did a review of the reformulation that was available at that particular time. Reading my own review, I felt there was no need to seek out the vintage since what I already had was very good.


Enter the year 2013. My bottle from 2009 is gone and I pick up another. It's a different reformulation; brighter and more shrill with a phantom sawdust note. It's still good and I like it, but it's different. I still have a reference atomizer of it for comparison. If I had to choose between the one I had in 2009 and 2013, I'd choose the 2009. It simply was more robust and "full"

I now have a vintage bottle from somewhere between 1990-1994. It wasn't a vintage-only purchase. I just happened to come across it while looking for a replacement and the price was right.



Surprisingly, the vintage isn't as loud as the one in 2009. You would think it would be nuclear, but to say that would be inaccurate. What I will say is it's as full-bodied as it can be while maintaining a semblance of smoothness.

It opens with a blast of restrained aldehydes and citrus that has carnation and patchouli already in the mix. Rose rears its head after a few minutes and a floral component I attribute to Orris. I've heard others mention how obvious the honey note is in the vintage and early renditions of Giorgio for Men. Do I get honey? I can't say that I do.

                                                                                   

 Instead, I experience a mildly sweet accent that I attribute to the combination of Amber, Benzoin and Vanilla. The Patchouli rendition is similar to what I experience in Krizia Moods Uomo, but integrated better.

In summary, this is a very nice version of Giorgio. It's more polite than some versions, but better balanced and smoother. Even in the dry down, I still get the Carnation. It works well with the Patchouli, wood notes and Van-amber finish. The first few hours, the projection is moderate, but good. The next few hours, Giorgio is a personal space scent and the following 4-6 hours it evolves into a skin scent.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this vintage bottle. I'm happy, not because it's stupendous or for any other reason than I get to own an early version of this AFTER I've owned, worn and liked a few of its reformulations. Thumbs up from Aromi for the vintage rendition of Giorgio for Men. If you already like Giorgio, you'll like this. Also, if you're happy with the version you have, there's no need to hunt down a vintage bottle. Giorgio, it seems, is good in all its interpretations.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited