Vierges et Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

I will say one thing for this house. They make a habit of pushing the envelope and they most certainly "dare to be different". I also like the concept of animalic teamed with sultry.

Vierges et Toreros seems to have its fans and detractors....which is in keeping with this house's vision of creating "outside the box". With the exception of Secretions Magnifiques, I seem to fall into neutrality when sampling their scents.

The opening is citric with a slightly spicy leather and a bit of camphor. The leather seems to come front and center and by the time a sweetened floral accord arrives, there's some bite provided by a pepper note. I cannot say the floral heart dominates, but I will say the tuberose is playing point guard. It seems to go back and forth with the leather. The leathery pepper combo is one I find interesting in this fragrance. It is the center of gravity in Vierges et Toreros; along with the gritty tuberose note.

There's also a mild smoke wafting around in here along with the subdued camphor. After 30 minutes, I keep waiting for the base accord to do its thing. Vetiver, patchouli and "animal" notes are listed, yet I cannot discern them in this wearing. The sample vial I am testing had about 2 sample wearings left in it before I dabbed a pretty good amount on my skin. I should have shaken it a bit and let it settle down before applying it.

At any rate....and despite some disparate reviews, this wearing has been positive. A peppered leather with subtle smoke and a slightly sweet floral accord have been co-existing since the first minute....and they are still present and accounted for 45 minutes into the wearing. It also has just as much projection as it did in the beginning. I only wish the basenotes would arrive, but I plan on using up the rest of the sample today and edit this review if that wearing seems different. I have to rate this fragrance a positive neutral.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited