Spiritus / Land No.2 by Miller et Bertaux

For me, incense is the new oakmoss. Okay, that may sound rather stupid to some, but I have a reason for thinking this.

Most younger males who don't care for the scents they deem "old man" or avuncular do so because of the aroma-association of frags from a certain era. It stands to reason right? Well, I have found that most of these alleged "old man" masculines implement oakmoss. Not all mind you, but the majority of them utilize this note and make it obvious in the construction. Hell, even I can smell a frag blind and pick out the ones from the classic era. They have that certain structure and usually oakmoss is unveiling itself by the time the heart accord unravels.

Enter incense and what I consider the new oakmoss. In 15 years ( and if I'm still breathing), there's a good chance I'll be able to differentiate the releases of the last few years and current by simple smell-association. Incense is quietly being implemented in quite a few creations and like oakmoss, it's very difficult to hide it in blending. I'm not complaining as I like incense very much. I can only assume others can pick it out immediately as well. Oud is another note making some waves, but my opinion is that incense is utilized far more frequently and has a broader sense of appeal than oud.

Naturally, Miller et Bertaux's Spiritus / Land No.2 implements incense or else I wouldn't be mentioning the note in the first place. Besides, the name Spiritus is a dead giveaway. Spiritus is a linear scent on my skin, but I like it. Why? Because it smells good, that's why. The totality is what's important and what Spiritus delivers on my skin is a polite incense with intermittent whiffs of rose and pipe tobacco. The tobacco reveals itself more bluntly as the accords settle down and takes on a very wispy cherry aura. I believe teakwood in tandem with the tobacco is responsible for this aroma. I have to say I dig it because I keep sniffing like a drug patrol German Shepherd. From the heartnotes on, I like this better than the opening......and the topnotes were good.......

Here's the accords for Spiritus / Land No.2

Top : Spices, Ginger
Heart : Rose, Teakwood
Base : Frankincense, Sandalwood, Tobacco

After this sample wearing, this frag went on my buy list for 2011. I find this is extremely good tobacco scent with incense and rose floating around in the mix. Big thumbs up from Aromi for Spiritus / Land No.2

Comments

  1. I had a feeling you would dig this! When I read the notes list, I thought this would be a slam dunk for me. When I actually tried it on my skin, it was all wrong with my body chemistry. I like to play with masculine scents, I can't help it. It doesn't always work out, though. I'm really glad it worked for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie. I do like it and even though it's an incense scent, the tobacco is especially prominent in the drydown.

    You really do get "Spirit and Land" in this one !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited