Wonderwood EDP by Comme des Garcons

My thanks to Carrie Meredith for surprising me with some pretty good samples today ! I'm already putting one to good use since our weather is atrocious and I have no inkling to venture out in that mess again today.

I have been curious about Wonderwood and have read comments about it on basenotes. I recall there was some hype about the release, but it didn't seem to last long. Until the wearing today, I had no preconceptions about it at all.

Wonderwood ( on me) is all about sandalwood. Sandalwood frags in general aren't usually loud and Wonderwood keeps to that regimen. It's softer than some with intermingled spice and just the slightest touch of incense. With all its listed notes, I expected something a bit more robust and transitional, yet it unfolds as a linear scent and hardly an accord transition.

The listed notes according to Luckyscent are :

Madagascan pepper, bergamot, Somalian incense, nutmeg, cristalon, cashmeran, guaiac wood, cedar, caraway seeds, Javanol, Sandalwood, vetiver, oud.

The first few minutes affords me a very subtle citrus, pepper and incense overlaid upon sandalwood. Within 5 minutes, the scent has subsided and is now sans citrus. The peppery incense note and sandal remain.......and that is Wonderwood on my skin in a nutshell. The parfum strength is always a good idea when constructing a sandal-dominant fragrance. Well.......it's a good idea to me because sandalwood is not a note known for its throw and EDC and EDT formulas usually end up skin scents in no time.

I like Wonderwood, but I'm not loving it. That's okay though, because I have only come across one sandalwood so far that crossed my t's and dotted my i's. Profumum Santalum is a tough one to beat in spite of the savage price point. At any rate, CdG has released a very nice sandal rendition in Wonderwood. The name is a bit misleading since I find no wonder in it, but I do find comfort and a level of pleasure wearing it.

Thumbs up from Aromi for Comme des Garcons Wonderwood.

Comments

  1. Glad you like Wonderwood! The first and second times I wore it, It was totally smooth sandalwood warmth on me. The third time (and at this point I'd sprung for a decant) it was like somebody had dumped a jug of fresh black pepper over my head. The pepper was overwhelming. It's so strange how scents can change on us like that, or our perception changes. Anyway, I'm happy you got the package safe and sound. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Carrie ! Yes, I do like Wonderwood and I'm looking forward to the Miller eB samples as well.

    The Santal Noble was an unexpected surprise since it's the reformulation that fell after the first change ( fig note rendition) I had and the vintage version. I briefly smelled it and thought it was very good !

    I'll save the Oud for last to review. ( smile) Thanks again for the great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure! The Le Labo Oud 27 is my (dare I say) favorite scent, probably ever. I hope you dig it too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited