Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens

Sandalwood, Rose, Cocoa, Tonka Bean.

Anyone who has previously perused this blog knows by now that I really enjoy certain interpretations of sandalwood. The ones that don't ( or can't ) live up to expectations are ones that I  usually find some redeeming things about. As is normal for The Serge, this rendition is somewhat unconventional and not what I anticipated. That's not to say Santal Majuscule isn't viable, because it is. You simply have to think a bit outside the box. I'm quite certain that's where Serge lives.

I know what the accord states is in the mix. I can truly say that if I had to smell and describe this blind, I would be off the mark. I can ( and will ) regale you with what I do perceive transpires on my skin during multiple wearings.

Sandalwood? Yes, there's Sandalwood here, but it's Serge's version, so take that for what it's worth. I anticipated a dominant theme in this fragrance, but it's more of a concerted effort. There's  a slightly creamy rendition of sandal supported equally by an offbeat blend of florals with a bite. The "Cocoa" note ( on me ) is not definitive, gourmand or anywhere near what I consider that aroma to be. It could be the interaction of my skin, but what I do experience is an intermittent, slightly burnt resin. It comes and goes of its own accord. Perhaps the tuning of "Rose" and "Cocoa" are what's responsible for this. Then again, it simply could be all the other unlisted ingredients coming to fruition on yours truly. Either way, it doesn't matter because I feel dispassionate.

Santal Majuscule possesses what I deem is the House "Hairspray" quality. It's not strong or overpowering, but evident nonetheless. Numerous Lutens releases share this fingerprint as does a few other notable Houses with their particular "recipes". It actually works well here in Santal Majuscule, giving a fragrance that needs a little something extra the boost it required.

This release is closer to dull than it is captivating, yet as harsh as that sounds, Santal Majuscule is still a pleasant enough wear. There's no shock value, unexpected twists or turns or utter repulsion. This is nothing more than the Serge's current idea of Sandalwood. These same ingredients, in the hands of other perfumers, would no doubt perform in a more mainstream fashion. I would rather smell this.

Sillage is average with longevity approximately 5 hours on my skin. A positive-neutral rating from Aromi for the Serge's Santal Majuscule. As always, a sample wear is highly recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited