Skip to main content

Reminiscence Patchouli by Reminiscence

 

Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Labdanum, Vanilla, Tonka, Vetiver, Musk.


My Achilles heel has always been the Patchouli note. I know it's a love it or hate it note for many. I have always loved Patchouli dominant fragrance since the 1970's. Yes.....I said the 70's. I had an extended hospital stay in 1977, One of the nurses, who worked my floor, wore patchouli every day. That's all it took for me.


I've owned Reminiscence Elixir, Eau de Patchouli and a revised version of this. All were different and all were good. The original version of Reminiscence Patchouli, which I am reviewing, is also different and more related to Bois 1920 Real Patchouly and definitely related to the updated release in my previous review.



The first thing one notices when spritzing this particular Reminiscence version of Patchouli is..........Patchouli !!! I'd say it's moist as opposed to wet and within minutes the perceived condensation evaporates, leaving a drier version of patch mingled with the usual culprits of earth tones you'd expect. The blending of earth and woods is something patch aficionados would appreciate. Nothing spectacular mind you, but well done from a house known to do Patchouli rather well.



I deem this version a Chypiental since it incorporates both Chypre and Oriental leanings to support the star note. Sillage is moderate as is the overall volume, with longevity at 4 hours PLUS a bit more than that as a skin scent. The Van-Amber accord rears its head on me after 90 minutes or so and makes this a real comfort scent for lovers of Patchouli. Thumbs up for the original release of Reminiscence Patchouli. A sample wear is highly recommended and is, after all, just common sense to try it before you buy it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Newport by Caswell Massey

Bergamot, Mandarin, Lemon, Lavender, Geranium, Muguet, Rose, Ambergris, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk. After wearing Newport by Caswell Massey a few times and then reading what others had to say about this recent formulation, I found some of the opinions harsh. I have no way to compare it to the heralded vintage formula, nor can I use memory as I've never tried the original. Enter the current version. I do agree with some reviews that this rendition does not bring about the sense of beach and salt, but there's a long line of fragrances that fail to represent their depictions. However, Newport isn't so far off the mark that it's a complete misrepresentation. I can imagine wearing Newport ( or something similar ) in a beach setting. It smells classic due to the way Citrus, Lavender and Geranium are implemented. It's assuredly retro, but it seems to have that intangible I like that keeps me sniffing. Newport, at least on my skin, is top heavy in the sens...

Black Suede by Avon

Nutmeg, Clove, Amber, Musk, Moss, Wood Notes. Yes.........I am reviewing one of the Rodney Dangerfield's of fragrance. Black Suede has been gracing medicine cabinets, for better or worse, since 1980 my friends. If you're expecting me to inform you ( like others may have already ) that Black Suede is a nasty scrubber, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you're expecting a glowing review claiming it's a diamond in the rough, you won't hear that from me either. I will say though that Black Suede doesn't deserve the hate it's received and most of that is due to snobbery aimed at Avon products in general. I kid you not when I state that a close relative to this fragrance is Cacharel Pour L'Homme. The array of spice in both ensure comparison, but the "smoother" of the two is Black Suede due to its implementation of Amber. While wearing Black Suede, one can detect a hint of "drugstore". That quality doesn't manife...

Lanvin L'Homme

Lord knows the world has enough fresh woody citrus fragrances.  It's a hackneyed genre of masculine perfume, having been done to death by countless designer firms cranking these things out since the 1990s, and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.  Lanvin L'Homme, released in 1997, is one of the early woody citrus releases, but it (along with Essenza di Zegna) stands out because it's one of the best.  That may sound like it's not saying much, but Lanvin L'Homme really is excellent. I won't get into a long treatise about all of the notes contained in this and how they evolve.  Lanvin L'Homme is sparkling, spicy, woody, transparent and dry.  What I love about this scent is how brilliantly it uses vetiver - the vetiver gives Lanvin L'Homme a woody, dry and somewhat bitter smell, but it also manages to create an effect of sustaining the citrus top notes for several hours.  This results in a fragrance that smells fresh and cheerful from beginning ...